The Scientific Institute of Public Health releases the important period for individuals who are allergic to birch pollen.
When the concentration of birch pollen reaches or exceeds the limit of 80 grains per cubic meter of air, the vast bulk of sensitized individuals show the following signs:
– Inflammation or itching, itching, red and/ or watery eyes
– Sneezing, obstructed nose, loss of smell and taste, stopped up sinuses, runny nose and, in many cases, itching in the mouth and vocal cords
The development of the pollen concentrations in the air will in the coming days mainly be identified by weather.
The birch, champ of the allergenic trees
In Belgium the birch is by far the most allergenic tree. He produces practically a third of all the tree pollen that exists in the air. Some individuals who are sensitized to birch pollen may also reveal symptoms of allergies if big quantities of pollen from alder and/ or hazel remain in flow, as held true in February. For these individuals, the discomforts that the allergic reactions bring with them have already begun for a while.
A stay on the coast is suggested for people with a birch pollen allergic reaction because the air usually includes fewer birch pollen. However, vigilance is recommended due to the fact that a birch pollen allergy can often be connected with a food allergic reaction to specific fruits such as apples, cherries, almonds, hazelnuts, kiwis, etc
How can sneezing and other discomfort be restricted?
– Follow the suggestions and treatments prescribed by your physician
– Avoid exercising and exercising outdoors (sports, exercise).
– Use glasses to prevent contact in between the eyes and the allergen.
– Take a shower and wash your hair prior to you go sleep to eliminate the irritant in addition to possible.
– Use paper scarfs and discard them systematically after usage.
– Do not let your laundry dry.
– Keep windows closed when you remain in the vehicle.
– Regularly consult this site to maintain to this day on the development of the product. pollen season.
Taking medicines (antihistamines, corticosteroids) lowers hay fever symptoms. These items are prescribed by a physician. In assessment with your medical professional they can even be taken preventively.
This treatment is based upon the injection of increasing dosages of the allergen, so that in the long term the client responds less strongly to the allergen. The treatment is long and should be done by a doctor. More informations about desensitization.
Air allergic reaction, the only official network for the monitoring of pollen.
Air allergy, the Belgian network for the monitoring of pollen and fungal spores, was established in 1974. Because 1982 it has actually been collaborated by the Mycology and Aerobiology team of the IPH. The network offers reliable info every day about the presence of allergens in the air and helps health experts to make a diagnosis. Allergic persons can likewise find information about high-risk durations and locations here.